Thursday 28 May 2015

4 Star Review of The Essence... Book Two in The Pledge Trilogy by Kimberly Derting

This second instalment in The Pledge trilogy is a complicated book to review… this will most probably contain spoilers, which is something I don’t usually like doing but I’m afraid I can’t explain my thoughts and feelings about the book in any other way…

First of all - I didn’t love The Pledge… I gave it 3.5 stars as I found it lacking in a lot of places, but the storyline was good so I thought I’d give this one a shot and see if it improved any, and yes it did in some ways, but in others it was still sorta mediocre…

Most of this book is spent travelling… on horseback, train and boat, through the Scablands where we meet new, likeable and not so likeable characters. Charlie and her crew end up at The Summit, where she meets a host of Queens from other countries who are all rather odd and have their own powers, she discovers that one of her men is a traitor, internally battles the Essence of Sabara for control over her body, tries to resist Sabara’s lover Niko and ends up in a bad situation with Brook’s father which doesn’t end well!

Charlie and Max’s relationship doesn’t really develop much from the first book as they spend an awful lot of it apart and, unfortunately we didn’t get much character growth from Max either… there’s also something stiff in their interactions, maybe it’s the way the scenes are written but I don’t feel much connection with them from a readers POV.
Charlie vs Sabara – I liked this element of the story a lot… I found Charlie’s struggle for power over her mind and body to be well written… the dreams/memories that Charlie experienced gave us good insight into what Sabara’s life was like and I found myself empathising with her… I also felt the passion in her and Niko’s relationship and I’m actually hoping that they get a HEA of their own, without Charlie’s body present obviously!
I knew I was going to like Aron… we get to know him a little better in this and I’m looking forward to more from him in the next book, along with Brook of course who is probably my favourite female character, I’m also hoping her and Charlie mend their relationship as it seemed a bit bleak when I finished this…
Unfortunately there was a distinct lack of Xander in this book but I’m hoping to get more in the next one.  Also, the Assassin… I guessed who it was from their chapter and was a bit disappointed with how that situation ended… hopefully it will be resolved on the final one (fingers crossed)

Anyhoo… like I said, the storyline and writing were good but, there were a lot of inconsistencies and it was only the last 70% of the book where I couldn’t put my kindle down… it’s a nice Young Adult, Fantasy Romance and I will be reading the next one shortly to see how it ends…


 
 
The Blurb
 
At the luminous conclusion of The Pledge, Charlaina defeated the tyrant Sabara and took her place as Queen of Ludania. But Charlie knows that Sabara has not disappeared: The evil queen’s Essence is fused to Charlie’s psyche, ready to arise at the first sign of weakness.

Charlie is not weak, but she’s being pushed to the brink. In addition to suppressing the ever-present influence of Sabara, she’s busy being queen—and battling a growing resistance determined to return Ludania to its discriminatory caste system. Charlie wants to be the same girl Max loves, who Brook trusts, but she’s Your Majesty now, and she feels torn in two.

As Charlie journeys to an annual summit to meet with leaders of nearby Queendoms—an event where her ability to understand all languages will be the utmost asset—she is faced with the ultimate betrayal. And the only person she can turn to for help is the evil soul residing within. 
 
Click HERE to view this book on Amazon.co.uk
and HERE to take a look at it on Goodreads

No comments:

Post a Comment